Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunshine and Muffins

The sun was out today and we found ourselves basking and busy in it, the leggy pea seedlings were plopped outside to try to "harden the f**k up" (hmm I don't think that's right- I think that's Chopper from the Ronnie Johns Half Hour- strong language warning) but I am scared to plant them out yet as I think the frost will kill them when she reappears. Every year in late July early August we think that Spring is arriving and every year the return of the cold takes us by surprise!
I am however surprised to find that the Moroccan mint, oregano, Lemon balm and French Tarragon seem to be growing back after a period of dormancy. I rather thought they were simply dead but I am as delighted as a new parent when her baby poos well to see tiny sprigs of green growth. Daffodil, freesia and garlic are starting to cautiously poke their heads above ground. I have been sitting in the sun with my two boys getting them to crack hazelnuts as we were all out of almonds and needed biscotti (apparently in this house you can need biscotti like you need air, water and sleep). Very cheering activity. Almost as cheering as the resultant chocolate and hazelnut biscotti. 
I have found some very old shriveled up but originally lovely passion-fruits and rather optimistically I am trying to sprout the seed with the hopes of a growing vine or two over the pergola (yes we got rid of the wisteria which isn't edible but is very messy and grows too fast) and having a bountiful harvest. Considering to date I have managed to kill two (or is it three?) grafted passion-fruit I think this is a pipe dream but there is no harm in trying.
I have also made raspberry muffins. for lunch boxes (because you know you can't have nuts, chocolate or smearable eggs and things have to look healthy or the children can't eat them and mine won't eat fish or rice salad or pasta salad or sushi, scrolls or scones (unless they are hot) and the teacher can't get the lid off the hot food bowl I was sending so we can't use that any more ARRRRGH!!! the rules- if they want so many rules why don't they supply the sodding lunches!!!)
Anyway.
My raspberry muffin recipe.


Ingredients

  • 2 cups plain flour(300g)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 cup rapadura (about 170g)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 50g butter, melted
  • 1 cup frozen raspberries

Doing it

1. Preheat oven to 190 C. grease muffin pan- you know a normal 12 muffin one. I like my professional aluminium one best. you could use paper cases if you were organised enough to have some. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and sugar. Actually if you have a Thermomix just whizz it all up for 10 seconds at speed 8. I don't know if you can sift rapadura as I use the Thermomix as I am lazy

2. In another bowl, melt butter in microwave until, well you know; melted,whisk together egg, milk and butter. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients along with the raspberries. Mix until just combined. If using the Thermomix dump all the wet stuff in and put it on interval setting on reverse for 15 seconds.

3. Use one of those icecream scoops with the little trigger on the side to scoop even amounts into muffin tray (you know the ones- they are useless for icecream but actually great for cupcakes and muffins) bake for about 20 mins , when they are springy to touch they are cooked.



Now try not to eat them all when they are warm and actually put some in the lunch boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment